Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Laura tells us why she keeps on racing...after 27 years!


27 Years and Still Loving Triathlons

I am pretty sure if you would of told me in 1985 that I was still going to be racing triathlons I would have said No Way!  I could not fathom racing for that many years, heck I have been racing before most of my teammates were born and almost as long as I was a teacher!  I continue to love triathlons and the sporting life it provides for me.  In fact, I really hope to be racing well into my 80’s! 

Here is why I am still involved.  First of all have I mentioned that I LOVE the sport of triathlons for the friends I have met along the way.  It has been an incredible journey meeting and getting to know so many unique people . I go back and race some of my first races I even participated in while living in Michigan, and see the same friends year after year.  That is so amazing to me.  I so enjoy meeting new friends along the way, just like my SOAS teammates! 

Secondly, I love being fit and healthy especially as I am aging at the same time. Going in for my annual physical I love to hear the doctor say, “I wish more of my patients were active”…of course she still thinks I am a little on the extreme end of active! 

Lastly, it was so very important for me to be a role model for my girls.  All three of my girls were active athletes as they grew up and as adults they continue to participate in healthy lifestyles. 

 At the end of the day, your health is almost as important as family and happiness.  Guard your health like you would you family and you too will be in this sport for 27 years and counting!!

Laura Sophiea
Team SOAS Ambassador

No comments:

Post a Comment