Thursday, August 30, 2012

Meet SOAS Ambassador Amy Gluck!


Amy Gluck grew up in Dearborn, MI and has lived in SE Michigan her whole life. She’s a Registered Dietitian and holds a full time job as a Clinical Nutrition Manager at Henry Ford West Bloomfield Hospital.
Amy’s friends talked her into doing a half marathon. “NO WAY can I run more than 10 miles, you guys!” Then, they talked her into running her first marathon last that year. “NO WAY can I run 26 miles, you guys!”  Then, while training for that fall marathon, they talked her into training for a triathlon. “I guess I have to buy a bathing suit and start swimming, you guys!” She raced her first triathlon in June of 2005 and was absolutely hooked! “They asked what I thought when I crossed the finish line. I said, ‘THAT WAS AWESOME! When's the next one?’”
“The following summer, I went out to spectate at Lake Placid where one of my girlfriends was racing. I volunteered all over the course and had a blast. I volunteered passing out the bikes, catching the bikes, and at the finish line. I thought, ‘If these people can do this, SO CAN I!’.  I was signed up to race Steelhead 70.3 a few weeks later. I told my friends that if I liked the Half IM, I would sign up for a full. I loved the Half IM distance even more that the sprints. I was in for Wisconsin 2007. I just hoped registration would open before I changed my mind. I was sitting at my computer, active.com open, on the phone with my buddies as I waited for the clock to strike the whitching hour. We all made it in. My goal was to break 13 hours. I had no idea what was in store for me that day. Not only did I break 13 hours, but I finished in 11:19, 3rd in my AG and a slot to Kona!”
Amy took 1st female, 3rd overall at Mountaineer Half Ironman, and 1st female, 4th overall Cardinal Harbor Half Ironman just this year. Her next race is Kona!
Outside of triathlon, Amy enjoys cooking, eating, travelling, and drinking beer. She also works with numerous charities, teaching people about nutrition.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Amy, you were the toughest girl I ever coached (High School, College and international levels). Your Dearborn High School Basketball coach. After you get well, I want you to shoot 10 Free Throws.
    Dennis Nazelli

    ReplyDelete