Tuesday, September 18, 2012

The Heat is ON!


It’s hot out there! After a treacherous couple weekends of racing in the heat, including IM 70.3 Worlds in Las Vegas and IM Louisville, I think everyone is ready for a change in the weather.  Even the San Diegans are complaining!!
I’m from Arizona, born and raised in the Valley of the Sun, and guess what??  I’m used to it! Yep, I’m a Sun Bunny and I’ve learned my way around the heat and what is has to offer me.  But I also know my limits of how much I can take in training day after day.  It’s about every summer that I take a Train-cation to San Diego and enjoy the beach and the brisk 70 degrees.   Everyone at home is in a suffer-fest of 110 plus. The nice thing about Phoenix is that 2-3 hours north of the valley you can be in the cool pines, and it’s at least 20 degrees cooler.  The past 3 years I participated in 3 fall Ironman races.  That meant that all summer long I was training in the heat.  It can be brutal!  But there are ways around it, by training the smart way.  In my experience, here are some tips for doing it right…
Take a Sweat Test: Weigh yourself naked, run or bike for 1 hour in the type of conditions and intensity you think you will be racing. Record how much you drink during that hour. Weigh yourself naked after the training.  For every pound you lose, equals 16-20 oz of fluid needed/hour plus how much you drank during that hour. Do this as often as you feel in needed.  
Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate!!!:  Before, during and after your bikes an runs, it is so important to get your fluids in.  I would always start my morning with a 16oz glass of water with my breakfast, then drink my needed fluids during the rides. For me, this was always one 24oz bottle of water and one 24oz bottle of my sports drink per hour.  Then I always make sure to hydrate well all day after that so my body is ready to go for the next day.  Coconut water is also a good way of adding fluid and much need potassium to your post ride hydration plan. 
Know your Route:  It’s important to know where the next hydration fueling station is.  You don’t want to be stuck in the middle of nowhere without water.  My bike holds 4 bottles, so I know that every 35-40 miles, I’m going to need to fuel up. 
Sunscreen: You should protect yourself with 10spf for every hour you are out.  That means if you are out for a 5 hour ride, you should have at least 50spf on.  They even make small tubes and sticks that can fit in your bento box or back of your bike jersey, so you can re-apply during your ride.  Protect you precious skin! There are also some hair products with SPF barriers. I have used a product by Biomega that helps protect my color treated hair in the sun. It contains a UV protectant.  I have also put a simple, cheap conditioner on the ends to protect my strands from fraying in the wind. 
Salt: I like to take salt tabs, or eat salty boiled potatoes on my ride.  Of course, everybody is different, but don’t underestimate the amount of sodium you may need when you’re riding through a life sized blow dryer and your sweat is drying as fast as your body is creating it.  Iodine is an essential electrolyte.
Clothing: Wear your SOAS tri kit!  It’s light, wicks away moisture, and makes you look sexy even when you feel like a hot mess. 
Lube it up: Use a chamois cream. Heat causes sweat. Sweat causes moisture. Moisture, cycling and a little black saddle for hours on end causes problems. Enough said! My pic? Beljum Budder in the white tube. In the summer you need more than body glide.
Get outta Here!:  Plan a road trip with your friends an get out of town to somewhere nice and cool, just for a change.  Pack up the bikes and go! A cooler training weekend can do amazing things for your body and your mind. 
Enjoy Yourself: Don’t forget that through all the training, heat, sweat dripping in the eyes, and saddle sores you are doing what you love. Right?  Think of the end product here and it’ll all be worth it.
Now get out there and finish up the season!
Karleen Dirmantas
SOAS Ambassador

No comments:

Post a Comment