Thursday, August 30, 2012

SOAS Ambassador and Ironman Champion Michelle Gailey


Michelle Gailey grew up in Sydney Australia, spent the last 6 years in Darwin Northern Territory and is now based in Boulder for USA summer and plan on basing in Melbourne, Australia over the Australian summer. She started doing triathlon in 2006, and did her first 70.3 in 2008. Her first Ironman was in 2010 but unfortunately DNFed.  She continued to strive and went for her pro license in 2011 and raced my first ironman in 2011, in which she won at IM Australia.

As an amateur she lived in Darwin, a fairly remote part of Australia where Asia is more accessible than the rest of Australia, so she raced in Singapore and Bali and was first overall amateur in her first 70.3. “These races in Asia were a highlight in my first years. I attempted my first ironman in Langkawi Malaysia, a tough course, and extremely hot and humid conditions make it even harder.  I ended up in an ambulance after passing out in the last 6 miles of the run. It took a year before I attempted another Ironman. I went back to 70.3 had some good results and was offered a professional license.”

2011 was her first Ironman finish in Ironman NZ. I loved it and ended up doing 3 more that year, with 2 second places and a win. This year Michelle has raced Ironman Australia (1st place) Ironman NYC (8th) Steelhead 70.3(5th) Ironman Louisville (6th). Michelle says it’s been an exhausting last few weeks.
“I do triathlon because I love the sport, racing, meeting people at races, the journey so far has been exciting.”
Look for Michelle next competing at the Ironman World Championships in Kona.

Michelle shares with us her post 3 weeks of race reports: It's been a good summer!!

This year has not been what I planned out at the beginning of the year, it has been wildly different, however the outcome is what I was aiming for. At the beginning of the year I sat down and worked out a nicely spaced out year of racing and training blocks, approximately 6 weeks after this and a few weeks before my first scheduled event I had a bike accident and broke my hand, badly, this required months of rehabilitation and missing my first race and throwing my nicely planned year into disarray... leading to a very heavy back end of my season.
I love racing, but 3 in three weeks is heaps.

Finally, my three crazy weeks are over and I am resting and recovering and catching up on my admin now my goal has been achieved and I have been invited to race in Kona. I have 5 weeks to get ready for this one!

Week 1: Ironman NYC
I had been to NYC once before after I had worked in a summer camp in New Hampshire the year after graduating university. I have very fond memories of NYC and the time I spent with my friends and camp co-councellors there. I arrived in NYC the Tuesday before the race, to stay with Wazza/warren in his one bedroom apartment on the edge of Hells Kitchen. Warren was very accommodating having me stay at his home while he was also training and getting ready for his first ever triathlon. When I arrived we went for a ride through Times Square and over to the transition area, I seriously thought I was going to die, Wazza weaves in and out of traffic and me having not much experience outside of Darwin (100,000 people) was happy to be alive with Swifty and my flash Vision wheels in one piece at the end.

This race looked like it could be a logistical nightmare on paper but from my view it ran really well from bike drop off to bike pick up! I thought the ferry rides across to transition were a highlight, gave a chance to meet people and a great view of the concrete jungle of NYC.
NYC in summer is fairly hot and sweaty. I was very careful in my prehydration and electrolyte loading with Hammer endurolytes to ensure that I would be in best shape possible on race morning and more so come run time

I had had my Swift bike serviced in the week before the race but it must have been thrown around in the plane trip because it was not running well at all come race day, this was disappointing, challenging and frustrating as I had put allot of work into my bike while I
have been living in Boulder, a flat tyre also was an unwanted challenge on the ride but I got through, I had come to race and that is what I was going to do. The NYC run must be one of the hardest ironman marathon runs around, I kid you not, there is not even one step of flat ground for over the first half of the run. It is a lovely run though and I really enjoyed it. Coming over the bridge into NYC the crowds were amazing, I am talking rock star amazing! I managed to run from 18th off the bike into 8th place finish, so I am happy with that. I know though that I still need more points to get to Kona so immediately started preparing mentally and nutritionally for a race in Steelhead the next week.

Week2: Steelhead 70.3
Steelhead is my first 70.3 since 2010 and my first half ironman as a Professioanl Athlete. I was super excited to be racing. I have decided I love 70.3, the result wasn't fantastic but was asking allot of my body following a tough race in NYC the week before. I was out of the swim 2nd, enjoyed the ride, now my bike had been fixed and was off the bike in 3rd. into the run my legs were screaming in protest but I blocked them out and plodded along for a 5th place finish overall but I knew that this was still not going to be enough for Kona qualifying.
I was the most lucky pro out there in Steelhead because I had a wonderful homestay with Dana Siewart, Alexander and her beautiful Springer Spaniels the patient placid Paris and playful puppy Porter. My campaign for adopting a Springer Spaniel has begun, I love dogs and miss my Aussie Shepherd like crazy. I will be putting Steelhead back on my to-do list.

Week 3: Ironman Louisville
Another Ironman, mentally I had prepared all week but physically this is a BIG ask on my body. What a long long day!
Again I got lucky and landed with the best homestay, Nancy, Marcus their son Barrett (Bear) and dog Parker and cat Pancake .. What is it with me and houses with pets with "p" name... Nancy is a triathlon coach, triathlete and knows about every athlete in Louisville and Marcus is a lawyer, come bike mechanic/bike fitter/runner/chef. I would have loved to have gone better in the race but I came to finish and that is what I did. Bree Wee dominated the race with a fastastic bike split on her Swift carbon bike. My bike was ready to roll after a service at Smith Cycles Louisville and Hammer nutrition sorted, I just wasn't rested and ready to perform in another Ironman so soon.

This race was possibly the most challenging race I have done, normally in a race you try and be present and in the moment as this is where the best performance occurs... This race I tried to be anywhere but the race, I spent 20mins in T2 stretching and preparing for my run/ walk... The time may not look like it but I did actually run some of the marathon, thanks to a Brittney who I met out there she helped me along with the run. Those who know me and have ever walked anywhere with me know that walking is definitely not my forte. I am a SLOW walker. I chatted to so many people in the walk, one guy, Ken told me he and Crowie had three world titles between them... ;) and he was also winning his age group until the swim started, positive happy light hearted natter and attitudes like this are awesome and inspirational.

I smile alot... I just generally enjoy being out there even if it is challenging and unpleasant at times, so dawdled along day dreaming and hoping the finish line would be soon, I have never walked/run for 5.5 hours straight and let me tell you it is painful, so painful. It gave me a whole new appreciation of the distance. I saw alot of SOAS chicks out there, there seems to be a bond between SOAS girls we all wave and smile at each other in races, its awesome. The last 1 mile of the race was the best, I got choked up with tears of relief and happiness when I got close to the line, although this finish is three hours and fifteen minutes slower than my slowest race previously, perhaps this has been my most satisfying Ironman finish so far.

Special thanks to my homestays and sponsors; Swift Carbon, Vision, SOAS, Mrc SPF, Hammer Nutrition, Wicked NRG, Ryders Eyewear, Computrainer, Cobb cycling. For providing me with the support and products I need to get to Kona! And can't forget my friends, family, boyfriend and flatmate for putting up with 3 weeks straight of "Ironman Brain". 

No comments:

Post a Comment