Monday, April 30, 2012

Ironman St. George... How a SOAS Girl Trains for an Early (TOUGH) Race!


SOAS Ambassador Willow Harrington!
This Saturday, she will take on the toughest Ironman course to date... Ironman St. George.  Willow explains the proper training and preparation it takes to go into this amazing race.  In Willow's words...  What does it take???
Saint George has a reputation for being brutal. The combination of weather and topography break even the toughest and experienced athletes. The bike is hilly, with two main long climbs, totally about 25% of the 112 mile ride. The run course was changed this year, flattening it some, but there is still a gradual two mile hill that you climb three times in the looped course. The fact that it still has not sold out speaks to the fact that there is a certain fear of this race.
Last year of the 4 seasoned racer-friends that started the race, 3 DNFed (SOAS friend Jess Smith crushed it for the overall armature win). So when I signed up, I knew exactly what I was getting into, and in part it was the reason I chose this race. I know I am not the fastest, but I can be tough.  If I play my cards right, this course will play to my strengths as an athlete: Will and Patience. 
Training smart: I am extremely lucky to train under the wing of Matt Dixon and purplepatch fitnessPurplepatch always provides insightful low-volume, specific-intensity roadmaps that continue to push my ability, while not wearing me down. Given that this is the first big race of what will hopefully be a very long season, purplepatch didn’t make huge race specific adjustments to my training program. Being “game ready” for Saint George was build into my overall yearly progression, with some very intentional focuses to ensure I was ready for the long, hilly day.
Remember why you love it:  As my fall marathon focus rolled right into Tri season, the “refreshed” factor was essential for prepping for an early Ironman.  I took few weeks of completely unstructured activity. I didn’t call it training on purpose. I left the watch, scripts, and intervals by the wayside to focus on my LOVE for sport.  I hit my favorite trail runs, went on social rides with friends, or whatever inspired me that day. When it was time to get serious at the end of January, I was both mentally and physically refreshed, while not giving up much of my hard earned fitness.
Building Strength: If I had to summarize the emphasis on my early season training, it would have to be STRENGTH.  Living in San Francisco, I have no shortage of hills to push my training. However, purplepatch was very intentional how I use these hills. On the bike I did lots of low cadence, big-ring muscle tension work, focusing on perfect form. I also did a lot of hilly trail running, trading in the mileage for terrain that was sure to get legs and hips firing. I also found local hills that were about the same distance/% grade as the race course and made sure that I ended my long runs on that hill.
The other essential aspect was that I made strength training a priority with standing weekly session with “functional strength guru,” Ryan Stockton.  Everything Ryan had me doing was directly tied to building a solid core, hip mobility, and form for swimming, biking, and running, allowing me to “do more with less.” My structural difference and sustained strength (as compared to even a year ago) is significant, especially late in the race when biomechanics would typically start to breakdown. If you ever get a chance to work with Ryan, take it. It will change the way you approach training.
Race Day: Above all, my race plan is build on respecting the course. I know I’m in for a long, hard, hot day. I also think that it’s pretty special that I get to race a course that was short-lived, but legendary. When Ironman.com announced last Thursday that, starting in 2013, Saint George will be a 70.3 distance, I was a little sad, but also grateful that I get a chance to experience it. I think that its courses like this that get to the true spirit of Ironman: A test of endurance, fitness, mental flexibility, and in the end, attrition. Coming from San Francisco, the 90 degree weather will be something I have to pay special attention to, respond carefully, and require that I stay very very smart. I think I'm up to the challenge!
I will be looking for all the SOAS ladies out on the course! Be strong. Be smart. Be fearless.
Willow





No comments:

Post a Comment