Sunday, November 11, 2012

Inspiration... Where do you find yours?

Inspiration is everywhere. From the words of our favorite writer, to our children taking their first step. Finding someone or something to inspire you is as easy as opening your eyes in a different light.  I have found many inspirations in my life. When I was in the midst of Ironman training, my favorite pro triathletes were my inspiration for getting out of bed in the morning.  Sometimes a good beer and burger are enough inspiration for me to get my butt going on a ride.  And what is it that people find inspiring about you?  Is it that you are fast, or that you have a good heart, or that you have fun doing what you love?  Hailey says that generally, positive people are a huge inspiration to her.  “Those folks who go out day in and day out with a GOOD attitude, and are grateful for what life has blessed them with. And those who may not be as talented as the pros, but have SO much heart and passion for life/sport that they are just jazzed for it. These people reignite my fire.”


My father has always inspired me. He was incredibly active and fit. He would get up extremely early and go run every morning before his very demanding job. This is back before jogging was really popular. I would get up with him when I was little, like 6-7 and he would let me jog a little ways with him. It was our special Father-Daughter time. Dad always worked really hard but he was also always there to help me with tennis lessons or basketball drills and was always there for a big game or match. I can't thank him enough for that. He just passed away recently and I can for sure say that he will absolutely be my inspiration for my training and races going forward. The next Ironman is for you, Dad! I love you!
~Kebby

I remember back in 2009, a few hours after getting my PR at the Boston Marathon, my husband Rich and I went to Nike Town to see Kara Goucher after her finish.   She was scheduled to do a Q & A after the race.  The whole week was a huge hype for her. Posters all around town, her special custom Nike Lunar Light shoes on display at the expo.  She was America’s Sweetheart that was supposed to take the Boston crown. But with less than a half mile to go it was taken away from her. She finished 3rd, in an amazing time and America was still so proud of her.  A few hours later she was cleaned up and answering our questions.  She had some pain in her throat and her eyes, you could tell.  She wanted today’s win, but had so much respect for the sport and her competitors that it was ok and still a great race for her second ever marathon.  Even before that day Kara was my inspirational athlete that I looked up to for all of her hard work.  And that day she taught me humbleness, and that winning isn’t everything.  As a highly competitive athlete, myself, I have to remind myself that if you fight and give it your all, that’s all you can do.
~Karleen 

People that inspire me? The list is infinite. My family and the amazing kids I somehow created. My husband for putting up with me on a regular basis. My patients, some who have gone to heaven before us, and some who continue their paths here, but all who have fought the hardest endurance event known to man - childhood cancer. I am amazed and inspired everyday by so many.
~Alana

And sometimes it’s not so much as people that inspire me, but their attitude. Those folks who go out day in and day out with a GOOD attitude, and are grateful for what life has blessed them with. And those who may not be as talented as the pros, but have SO much heart and passion for life/sport that they are just jazzed for it. These people reignite my fire.
~Hailey

Although many different types of people from all walks of life have touched my life and inspire me in different ways, I would say the person that inspires me most is my husband.  My husband Oscar, who lives a relatively ordinary life. He’s a high school math teacher, a cross country and track coach, a marathoner himself - but to me he is absolutely extraordinary! He is such a selfless, giving person that he truly inspires me to be the best person I can be. I think the best compliment you can give someone is that they make you want to be a better version of yourself and that is exactly what he does on a daily basis for me.
One of my main sources of motivation in training and racing is to honor all the support and love Oscar (and my entire family) has given me in pursuing my dreams as an athlete. It's not hard to get out the door for those long rides or early morning swims when I think of all that he's sacrificed for my dreams - the least I can do is make sure I get my work done and push as hard as I can when I'm out on the race course! So yes, he is one of my biggest inspirations and motivators for sure!
~Beth 

No comments:

Post a Comment