Friday, October 12, 2012

Here They Are! Our SOAS KONA GIRLS!!!

From left: Kebby, Willow, Alana, Robyn, Hailey, Laura

Here they are... Our Kona bound ladies, all who have landed safely on the island and looking forward to having a great race on Saturday.  We are so proud to have such amazing and strong women this year at this amazing event. 
Our thoughts and prayers are with Kimmie Rouse and Amy Gluck who, unfortunately, wont be racing because of terrible bike accidents.   

Alana Kennedy-Nasser from Bellaire, Texas (Houston), 35-39
Where She Qualified: Qualified at IM Florida.
Is this your first Kona?: First Kona!
Ever Been to the Big Island?: No experience whatsoever and will soon discover my favorite things to do on the Big Island!
Pre-race meal: Oatmeal, banana, nutella toast and skim milk followed by 1000mg of Tylenol. Yummy!
Post-race meal: Coke and whatever the cheering crew eats!
Who’s traveling with you?:  My husband, Dean, and two younger children, Julia and Alexi, along with my two awesome girlfriends, Chrystal and Claudia - the same cheering crew as my first Ironman. At least they won't need heavy coats for this one! My older teenagers are pretty excited to be staying home alone for a week. We hope to find our home in one piece upon return...
Good luck charm: Earrings!
Which SOAS Kit will you be wearing on Race Day?: Black team kit or red and white team kit. I'll let the cheering crew decide since they will be the ones looking for me out there!

Laura Sophiea from Atlanta GA  55-59
Where you qualified: Kona Hawaii Ironman
Is this your first Kona? If not, what years? This will be # 22 in Kona
Previous Kona experience, if any: Gosh, I guess I probably have a lot of experience, but that said, Kona is and always has been a different day. No race has ever, ever been similar!  That is why I love it…Always test you!
Favorite thing to do on the Big Island, place to go, or place to eat: Kua Bay to relax a get a little sunshine.  Magic Sands beach to ride waves, I like Huggos on Rocks for coffee after an ocean swim.  Green Flash for a sandwich, and Lava Java
Your pre-race meal: Pre race….chicken, quiona and sweet potato small glass of wine.  I never give up all the pleasure of a good meal!
Who is traveling to Kona with you: My boyfriend Kevin is here.  I also have about 8 GF here from Atlanta.  Huge Dynamo Swim and Multisport cheer group.
Good luck charm, or pre race rituals: My mom…her ashes are buried in A-Bay out at Waikola.  Talk to her on race day.  My oldest daughters first boyfriend who was killed and love that I did triathlons…talk to him.  Then on Friday finidng a quiet piece of land to mediate and prepare for the race.
Which SOAS kit will you be wearing? Either the polka dot outfit or the red and white one from last year.  Love that one the best!!

Stephanie Swanson, San Diego CA, 30-34
Where you qualified? Ironman Louisville
Is this your first Kona? First one
Previous Kona experience: I'm usually out here for work (SOAS) and other design stuff. Funny having to "participate" in the race this year while being out here working. The key word is participate. Should be fun!
Favorite thing to do on the Big Island, place to go, or place to eat: I love getting to spend time with all our are friends. During the year they could be scattered all over the world but in Oct. everyone is all together. Doesn't hurt that it just happens to be on a beautiful island too!
Your pre-race meal, post race meal: I think I had GF pepperoni pizza and a blizzard from dairy queen my last IM. I wouldn't go out and smash a dozen oysters the night before… but I'm not scared to kinda eat whatever. Post race… A bottle of wine.
Who is traveling to Kona with you? I've been out for the last couple weeks with our partners in crime and dear friends the McKenzies. Brit my husband will join us later this week for some important post race activities like golf and after parties. He's gotta use his vacation time for the fun part of the trip ;)
Good luck charm, or pre race rituals: Usually no… but I am very excited to be wearing an Amy sweatband. My thoughts will be with her and Kimmie.
Which SOAS kit will you be wearing? Probably the Red Race. I have new matching shoes to go with it.

Willow Harrington-Holland, San Francisco CA, 30-34
Where you qualified? Ironman St George
Is this your first Kona? Yes
Previous Kona experience, if any: Just vacation, and Honu 70.3
Favorite thing to do on the Big Island, place to go, or place to eat: snorkeling! (aka chasing fish!)
Your pre-race meal, post race meal Pre race: chicken, rice, grilled veggies. Post: whatever sounds good in the moment. Often burritos.
Who is traveling to Kona with you? SO LUCKY to have a squad of sherpas going: Husband, mom, mother in law, 5 of my most awesome friends, brother and sister in law.
Good luck charm, or pre race rituals: My husband had a bracelet made for me for my first Ironman that i keep over my TT bars that says: Eat, Breathe, Relax, Smile. i love it...all the basics and makes me think of him while im out there.
Which SOAS kit will you be wearing? Black Team Kit.






Michelle






Hailey Manning, 30-34
Michelle Gailey, Pro

Hailey

No comments:

Post a Comment